I got the idea for this project from the book Wise Craft by Blair Stocker and also by browsing around a bit on Pinterest. There are other tutorials out there, but here's how I did it:
DIY Glitter Word ArtMaterials
Template of your design
Craft glue, such as Mod Podge
Glitter in color(s) of choice
1. Choose your design and make a template. If you're using a word, type it out in a word processing system, print it on card stock or heavy paper, and then cut it out with a craft knife. Or you could print out, trace, or draw a shape and then cut it out of cardstock.
2. Trace your design onto your canvas. (You may want to use double-sided tape to keep the design in place.)
3. Using the small paintbrush, fill in your design with the craft glue. Make sure to cover your tracing lines.
4. Lightly pour glitter over the Mod Podge to completely cover it and let it sit for a few moments. Then, tap the excess glitter off onto a piece of paper that you can then use to return the extra glitter to your container.
5. Fill in any spots that could use more glitter by repeating steps 2 and 3 in those areas. I had a few uneven edges on my letters that I went back over.
6. Give the canvas a few more good taps to make sure any loose glitter has fallen off. Lay it flat and let it dry for twenty-four hours.
6. Spray on a coat of clear sealant using the directions on your container.