Thursday, August 6, 2015

What's Your Favorite Jane Austen Novel?

I thought I'd do something a little different this week and talk about books. I've always been an avid reader--books, blogs, cereal boxes--I'm addicted to the written word. And it's always fun to talk books with other people who love them.

Jane Austen | seriously-lovely.blogspot.com
Jane Austen image via wikipedia


For example, I recently had a conversation with a co-worker about Jane Austen's novels. We agreed that most people seem to choose Pride & Prejudice as their favorite--perhaps because of the popularity of the movie version starring Colin Firth? But we both had different choices for our favorites. She said she's always loved Sense & Sensibility because the relationship between Elinor and Marianne reminds her of her relationship with her own sister.

Personally, my favorite is Emma. It's not so much the matchmaking/humor part of the story, but the way Emma's character matures over the course of the novel that I enjoy. I also love the relationship between her and Mr. Knightley. Their friendship-that-turns-into-romance reminds me of my relationship with my hubby. I also adore the recent film version by the BBC starring Romola Garai and Johnnie Lee Miller. Lines and scenes from the movie pop randomly into my head because I've seen it so many times.

Romola Garai and Johnny Lee Miller in Emma | seriously-lovely.blogspot.com
image via imdb
So how about you? Which Jane Austen story is your favorite? Any die-hard Northanger Abbey fans out there, lol?

No comments:

Post a Comment